No wifi on Manjaro [Fix]

What’s up folks! I hope you’re doing ok during these quarantine days. I hope you’re doing something useful with your time as well. There are plenty of things to do, such as finishing that book or movie, cleaning your room, or stop using windows and switch to Linux instead.

Well yeah, I did that. I was using a desktop computer with Windows on a daily basis, but with all of these conspiracy theories about Bill Gates and the Coronavirus, I said: fuck it, I’m not using this shit anymore, so I decided to set up a dual boot with Linux installed, so I can start feeling comfortable again when surfing the web and doing all my stuff. I used and enjoyed Ubuntu on an old laptop before, but this time I wanted to try something different, so I chose Manjaro.

So far I’m loving it. Even though I had tons of problems the first days, it was funny, I had a hard and a good time trying to solve them. At the end I always felt like it was worth it, because I learned the basics and got a wide perspective about what Manjaro (and Arch) is.

Ok, so now let’s talk about this problem. I finished installing Manjaro Xfce, and I was so excited to finally try a new distro. Everything looked so clean and minimal, so I opened firefox to read how to set up my new computer and learn the basics, but then I noticed one little problem, there was no fucking wifi.

The first thing I did, check the drivers

As you can see in the screenshot, I have two network drivers: RTL8821CE (for the wifi) and R8168 (for ethernet). If you are reading this post, you probably have one of those. Ethernet worked for me, but the wifi didn’t. So the problem here is RTL8821CE.

While I was trying to find the solution using Ethernet, I noticed that many people had this problem, I found many threads in Manjaro Forum, but none of them got the real solution. I kept trying and trying, putting together solutions from many threads, until I finally managed to fix my problem and make the wifi work.

I hope you find this post useful, if not, at least it’s gonna be one of the posts that led you to the real fix. Don’t give up.

Solution

  1. Make sure you are using the last LTS kernel. When I installed manjaro, it automatically installed the 5.7 kernel, which was in experimental state. New and experimental kernels can cause problems with drivers, so I downloaded and installed the last LTS and ‘recommended’ kernel: 5.4.35-1. You can do that on settings, just look for the kernel option. I was amazed of how easy it was to switch kernels on Manjaro, so that’s a plus.
  2. Ok, now you are on the last stable kernel. Now you need the headers of that kernel. Just open pamac manager and look for linux54-headers. Make sure you have all of these installed.

3. Open terminal and and put this:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/rtl8821ce-dkms-git.git

cd rtl8821ce-dkms-git

makepkg -sic

4. Close everything, reboot and wifi should work now.

If you have any problem, just contact me. I’d be glad to help you.

Many threads helped me to find the solution, but these are the ones that I remember: Many thanks to them!